Published in ISFA U13 Cup




Manchester Grammar School and Dulwich College went head to head on the ISFA U13 Cup final at Burton Albion FC.

Dulwich started the attacking of the two teams, creating early chances on goal in the opening few minutes of the game.  Dulwich continued their pressing attack, but the Manchester Grammar School work tirelessly to hold them back. 12 Minutes into the game and Dulwich’s pressure finally paid off, securing the opening goal of the game with a shot from just inside the box nestling into the bottom corner.

Manchester slowly started to find their rhythm back into the game, creating their own attacking opportunities and holding Dulwich College in their own box for, but just lacking in shooting opportunities due to the resolute defending from Dulwich.

Dulwich had chance to double their lead on the half hour mark, with a excellently struck free kick sailing just wide of the post.

HT MGS 0-1 Dulwich

The second half started much like the first, Dulwich on the front foot creating early chances in the half. Another free kick saw Dulwich nearly double their lead, but this time it flew just over the crossbar of the goal. Manchester Grammar were strong in defense breaking down the advancing attack but failing to clear their own half in attack.

Dulwich finally capitalized on their attacking possession in the 38th Minute, when their number 9 found themself one on one with the Manchester goalkeeper and placed the ball in the bottom corner of the goal.  2- 0 to Dulwich College.

Dulwich nearly scored another goal in quick succession, but some strong defending from Manchester Grammar denied them at the last minute.

Dulwich looked comfortable in possession and kept their attacking play flowing, creating chances, but once again the Manchester defense and goalkeeper denied them of a third goal.

 Manchester finally got a break from defending and after a great counter attack were awarded with a free kick just outside the box after a last ditch tackle. The free kick flew narrowly wide of the keepers post.

The possession kept flowing between the two teams, but it was Dulwich who maintained their attack, adding a third goal on 60 minutes, after a good save by the keeper the ball rebounded to the striker who was able to tuck the ball away.

Final score Manchester Grammar 0- 3 Dulwich College.

Photos courtesy RWT Photography . To order photographs please go to  Please order your DVD of the match via your school.  


The game started with Hampton kicking off, but Dulwich pressed immediately and won the ball off the Hampton defence. Twelve seconds into the game after winning the ball the Dulwich striker chipped the keeper to put Dulwich one-nil up. As the game settled down, Dulwich continued to pass the ball around looking to break down the Hampton backline again. Halfway through the first half from a corner, the ball was headed home to make the score two-nil at half time. In the second half, Hampton pushed to get back into the game but the Dulwich defence stood firm. Dulwich worked together to deal with everything Hampton threw at them and deserved the two-nil victory as the final whistle blew.
Well done to Dulwich for reaching the ISFA national final and the first in the College’s history.

In an evenly thought tie Manchester Grammar School started well and pinned back the visitors without creating any chances. MGS continued to attack and were rewarded when from a corner the ball was headed in from the MGS striker to open the scoring. Shrewsbury House battled hard and a ball across the MGS defence was narrowly missed by the Shrewsbury striker. MGS increased the lead when a good passage of play resulted in the MGS striker finishing well. Shrewsbury got back in the game when following a scramble in the MGS box the Shrewsbury striker poked the ball home. HT 2-1. With the wind behind them Shrewsbury started the second half well and tested the home team with a couple of long range shots. MGS weathered the storm and hit back with a ball pulled back to the striker who shot wide. MGS had the ball in the net but the linesman blew for offside. Shrewsbury battled hard without creating any clear cut chances to see MGS triumphant at the final whistle.


On a glorious day for football both sets of boys gave their all for their school in this exciting game. Hampton were quick out of the blocks creating two early chances. Alleyn’s they gained more control in the game hitting the woodwork following a corner. Hampton broke the deadlock halfway through the first half. Alleyn’s were then on top all the way to half-time hitting the woodwork again. Hampton came out the stronger in the second half and with 15 minutes to play had added two goals to their lead. Once again Alleyn’s finished the half strongly and pulled two goals back to create a tense ending. At the death Hampton were awarded a penalty and qualified for the next round with a 4-2 win.

Both teams started brightly with a couple of half chances falling to the away side within the first 10 minutes. Prestfelde came into the game when a long ball out the home defence led to confusion within the Manchester Grammar School back line only for a tame shot to follow from the forward. MGS took the lead when a shot from the MGS  midfield player sailed over the home keeper to give MGS the lead. Prestfelde pressed and created a chance before a brave save by the MGS keeper prevented the home side equalizing. Ht 1-0. In the second half MGS took a firm grip on the game when after a clearance fell to the MGS  midfield player who stroked the ball home from the edge of the box. Prestfelde rallied and a goal moth scramble saw a shot from the home team go narrowly wide. MGS killed off the game when the striker slotted the ball in from inside the box.


A very even game in both possession, territory and chances created with the difference being the ruthless finishing of the Whitgift No.9. He was to score 5 first half goals to leave a half time score of 7-1 to the home team against Ardingly. Whitgift progress to the next round after a final score of 10-2

Trinity School 2-1 St Johns, Enfield. St. Johns took an early lead after a lovely finish from the St. Johns number 9. Trinity then grew into the game gaining a lot of possession and were unlucky to not be at least level at the break. Trinity again stepped up another level which finally allowed them to make a break through 7 minutes from the end. St. Johns defended excellently however one minute from taking it to extra time, Trinity managed to work a yard of space beating the keeper on his bottom left corner

In a close game Dulwich's quick start proved the difference in the end. After Dulwich took and early lead, both teams evened themselves out in a high quality last 16 tie. Aldenham weren't able to break through the Dulwich defence in the second half and booked themselves a place in the quarter finals.

Prestfelde 4-1 Cheadle Hulme. 1 - 1 at half time after Prestfelde took an early lead. Three second half goals saw Prestfelde comfortably through in the end. 

Hampton had a lot of possession in the first half and eventually broke the deadlock with a goal from close range, following a pull back. St John’s, Leatherhead, stepped up a gear at half-time and pressed incredibly well putting a lot of pressure on the Hampton side. However, Hampton added a second from an excellent counter attack. St John’s never gave up and always looked dangerous but in pushing for a goal, Hampton were able to progress down the other end and an excellent strike from outside the box sealed the victory for Hampton.

Papplewick started strongly in their match at home to Alleyn's but the visitors gradually fought their way into the game and took the lead mid-way through the first half, whereupon they seized control of the game and ran out 7-2 winners.  The scoreline was harsh on Papplewick as it was a competitive match but Alleyn's were in sparkling form.


An on song Hampton side were quick out of the blocks racing to an early lead which helped them to relax into the game. Haileybury boys fought hard and competed throughout and were rewarded for their efforts with a deserved late consolation goal.

In a dramatic finish RGS Newcastle overhauled a 1-0 deficit to run out 2-1 victors against St Bede’s College. After a frenetic start RGS began to assert themselves, striking the crossbar early on, but it was St Bede’s who capitalised on a loose ball to take the lead late in the first half. After a period of sustained pressure RGS’ hard work paid off, with a smart finish levelling the tie in the last 5 minutes. From the ensuing kickoff RGS made it a quick fire double, before a dogged defensive display in the last 5 minutes to seal a well-deserved victory. 

A really competitive game that may have flattered the Shrewsbury House score line, both teams played at a fast tempo and it was SHS quickest as they scored the first goal within 10seconds of Kick off, Highgate didn't let their heads drop and soon started putting some nice passages of play together which led to an excellent header. On the stroke of halftime another headed goal gave SHS back in the lead. A second half saw  a well deserved hatrick and a further goal to send Shrewsbury into the next round.

After an even start between Merchant Taylors, Crosby and Prestfelde, Prestfelde took the lead after both keepers had made good saves. Into the second half, Prestfelde doubled their lead before a super free kick from all of 30 yards pulled one back. Prestfelde added a third near the end to see the game out 3-1.

Papplewick had the best of the opening stages and their persistence was duly rewarded when they took the lead mid way through the first half. Crosfields hit back with a well taken finish on a counter attack and the teams went in level. The second half Crosfields battled hard but Papplewick goals killed any momentum they could build up. Chances at both ends but a well deserved victory for Papplewick as they ran in four second half goals

Aldenham eventually secured their spot in the next round with an extra time winner. This had come after Aldenham had run into a 3-0 lead at half-time before Harrodian fought back to take the game into extra-time with 3 second half goals. However, eventually Aldenham took one of the many chances for both teams to progress

Bury started the better of the two sides and immediately put the Manchester Grammar defence under pressure. A good passage of play led to a shot from the edge of the box which was saved from the MGS keeper. MGS took the lead after a good passage of play led to our striker stroking the ball home. MGS increased the lead when a mistake in the home defence led to MGS scoring again. MGS wrapped up the match when the midfield player hit a thunderous shot from outside the area which sailed into the top corner. HT 3-0. Mgs continued to score at will in the second half before Bury scored a consolation goal when the ball was  turned into the net from a cross. Final score 9-1 MGS.

The ‘Croydon Derby’ saw a superb game played in ideal conditions with two good teams. Whitgift started brightly and went into the lead through a penalty. Whitgift then failed to add to their lead and  Royal Russell equalised with their only shot of the first half on the stroke of HT. Royal Russell started the 2nd half very brightly only to be denied by some superb goal keeping. Whitgift regained control and also the lead midway through the half and were unfortunate not to add to that lead leaving a FT score of 2-1 to the home side.


Aldwickbury started the stronger of the two teams with great 1 and 2 touch football. It wasn’t long before there control and dominance in the game led to a goal.(1-0). Haileybury then grew into the game and a great strike from their captain made the scores level. (1-1). Haileybury then scored shortly after with a great finish from their striker. (1-2). The second half saw a real physical battle as the rain and the wind made it very hard to play football. The game was end to end and finished with Haileybury scoring one more before the final whistle. (1-3)

Berkhamsted hosted Whitgift on a damp morning in Hertfordshire.  The visitors got off to a good start scoring a well worked goal and although Berkhamsted scored an opportunistic goal to level the match at 1-1, Whitgift proved too strong and scored a further four unanswered goals to move into the next round.

In a competitive game played in great spirit Hampton proved too strong for the visitors Sevenoaks. Hampton had a strong start to the game but failed to take an early lead due to some resolute defending and excellent goal keeping from the Sevenoaks goal keeper. Eventually Hampton opened the scoring and a second was soon after. Hampton were denied a fourth through an excellent penalty save. Hampton went on to win the game. The Sevenoaks team showed true ISFA competitive spirit, working hard until the end.

On a blustery afternoon in Manchester, made a fast start, pressing high and putting the visitors under pressure. The Grange goalkeeper made a couple of early saves before a defensive error at the other end led to a goal for the visitors, as the striker smartly rounded the goalkeeper to make it 0-1. Manchester Grammar upped the ante and drew back level with an excellent counter attacking goal shortly before taking the lead with an accurate finish from the striker inside a crowded penalty box. The half time score 2-1.Despite the tireless efforts of the Grange players, Manchester Grammar extended their lead in the second half with a lovely strike from the right hand side, the winger sending the ball across a sprawling goalkeeper into the far corner. A 4th goal came from the penalty spot before victory was sealed for the home side with a strike which found the top corner from distance.

There was nothing between Crosfields  and Truro in the opening encounters until Crosfields broke the deadlock after 10 minutes. Their confidence grew from that and they fired home three quick fire goals before half time. The Truro resistance was strong in the second half as Crosfields had to work hard for two more goals to put them into the next round.

Alleyn’s won a hard fought game with Thomas’ Clapham on a foggy morning in South London. Thomas’ took a deserved early lead before Alleyn’s clawed their way back into the game. Thomas’s number 10 was the outstanding player on the pitch.

Royal Russell found themselves 5-0 winners against a strong Dunottar side in the 2nd round of the U13’s ISFA Cup. An all round strong team performance with some great attacking and passing football from the boys in Maroon.

A strong first half performance from Aldenham saw they take a big lead into the break but Kimbolton never gave up and deservedly scored a well-deserved consolation.

A cracking game of football played in the sunshine and the game didn’t disappoint. Papplewick took an early 2-0 lead but Lochinver bounced back converting a penalty. Papplewick restored their lead to give them a 2 goal cushion but Lochinver set up a tense last 20 minutes, pulling one back. It was one way action for the last 20 but Lochinver couldn’t find the breakthrough and the final whistle saw Papplewick March into the 3rd round. 

Danes Hill started fast score two goals in the first quarter of the game. City of London then came back into the game, demonstrating a determined work ethic and fight for the ball. Just after half time they got a goal back through some solid play. Danes Hill continued to hold fast and deal with the pressure before scoring a 3rd on an excellent counter attack. Final score 3-1 to Danes Hill.

Prestfelde started well and went 2 goals up early in the game, before Stockport got one back. Two further goals before the break gave Prestfelde a 4 - 1 half time lead. Stockport immediately pulled one back, before two further goals to finish 6 - 3. 

Latymer and Forest served up an entertaining match where both sides had their own periods of pressure. Latymer scored two goals to lead at half time but, shortly after the break Forest pulled a goal back. Latymer managed to go on to score another two goals before Forest replied with two of their own. A tense finish ensued but Latymer managed to see the game out.

A good second round tie where Dulwich took advantage of a positive start to take the lead early. The Hall defended resolutely throughout and their goalkeeper made a number of fantastic saves. Dulwich finished off the victory with more goals in the second half.

Wetherby Prep continued their fine start to the ISFA Under 13 cup competition with an 8-1 victory over Great Walstead. Wetherby quickly had the advantage over their Hertfordshire opponents leading 2-0 with 10 minutes on the clock. Great Walstead pulled a goal back however Wetherby scored two more goals to make it 4-1 by half time. Wetherby scored another 4 in the second half.

RGS Newcastle took a lead after bundling home a corner. A quick response from Newcastle School for Boys was no more than they deserved, with their wingers causing problems all day for the RGS defence. In the closing stages of the first half both teams were denied by the woodwork. In the second half it was RGS who began to assert control, winning the midfield battle and adding a second, before converting a penalty to make it 3-1. A good game enjoyed by all in attendance

A fantastic game of football with some excellent passages of play. St Pauls dominated the back end end of the first half without finding a breakthrough against Kings House. The second half was largely equal until the last five minutes when St Paul’s couldn’t put the finishing touch to some great through balls. Finally, in the last minute of normal time the ball was tucked it under the keeper to snatch the win


Papplewick were organised and more compact than in their previous outings and carried a goal threat throughout the course of the 60 minutes. The game was locked at 2-2 come the half time break after a number of fine long range efforts from both teams, but Papplewick came out in the second half with greater steel and determination. Bournemouth were a cracking side with a high skill level and some outstanding footballers but the Papplewick football was direct and cut through their team time and time again. Papplewick controlled the game in the final 5 minutes and came away victorious, with a 5-3 win. 

Today saw the return of National Cup action with St. Johns, Enfield against a worthy Thorpe House team. The goals came thick and fast with St Johns leading 5-0 at the break. After the break, It didn't take long for St. John's to add to the score. After a short spell of midfield battles St John’s broke through again, with final score being 9-0.

St John’s, Leatherhead started their Cup run in great spirit yesterday, topping a great performance and coming out 6-1 winners against Eaton House The Manor Prep. Both teams with a intense start and pushing for the first goal, which fell in the 10th minute to St John’s with a great part of combination play in the final third. Eaton House were superb in their efforts in team spirit and continued to be a threat going forward. A great effort by all involved.

Kimbolton went in at half time 4-0 up after some neat, fast pass and move football. Lockers Park came out brightly in the second half and after pulling a goal back threatened with one or two further chances. However, as concentration and tiredness began to tell, Kimbolton ran in three further goals towards the end for the final score of 7-1 to the visitors.

Kings Chester started brightly, dominating possession and looking a real threat before they deservedly took the lead. As the half went on, Prestfelde started to take a foot hold and scored an equaliser before half time. The second half was more even with both sides having chances. 1-1 at the end, the game went to extra time, Prestfelde scoring two quick goals to go 3-1 up. Kings pulled one back to set up a nervy finish, but Prestfelde saw the game out.

Crosfields edged out New College in a close and well battled game with two goals coming in each half. Crosfields opened the scoring from a free kick which was placed into the net from some way out. Some fantastic play  made it 3-0 before New College pulled one back to give the hosts a scare. A deft finish from Crosfields at the end put the game to bed in a good contest. Well done to both teams.

Danes Hill started the better of the two teams, keeping possession of the ball well but it was Kingston Grammar who scored first, via an excellent counter attacking move. Danes Hill continued to dominate possession and created several chances before halftime, scoring one of them. In the second half, both teams went on the offensive, trying to win the game, with Danes Hill scoring the important second goal after some effective high pressing.

Cothill welcomed St Martin's on Monday 20th September. It was a strong showing from Cothill who went 5-0 up in the first half. St Martin's did very well to keep battling and created many chances in the second half, before Cothill finished strongly with a couple more late goals. A great afternoon was had by all.

Both Latymer Upper and Elstree played some good football across the course of the match. Latymer started well and managed to take a 2 goal lead. Elstree scored before the break though to set up an exciting second half. Chances were created by both side though Latymer managed to hang on for a 4-3 win.

After an easy journey down to Reigate, the Westminster Unders School boys had a good warm up, preparing them well for the game. We started off strongly and managed to take a 3-0 lead into half-time. The sun came out at the start of the second and a couple of injuries meant we had no substitutes left to use. Fatigue was starting to show slightly but the boys pushed on and managed to get a fourth. Reigate managed to get a well worked goal towards the end.

Wetherby Prep welcomed Farringtons to the Wetherby sports ground and made a lightning start, racing into a 3-0 lead. Farringtons pulled a goal back however Wetherby extended their lead by scoring another 3 goals to make the score line read 6-1 at half time. The final score ended Wetherby 7 Farringtons 2.

Read 53979 times
Tagged under