Published in ISFA U15 Cup




Cheadle Hulme School and Eton College went head to head in the ISFA U15 Cup final at Burton Albion.

Eton started the brighter of the two teams have a quick breakaway in the opening few minutes. The game quickly turned to end to end football with both teams having good attacking chances in the opening 5 minutes with Eton having the better chance, but unfortunately the ball sailed over the crossbar when the striker found himself unmarked in the box.

The opportunity then fell to the Cheadle Hulme striker to make his mark on the game, but a wonderful save from the Eton keeper denied the opening goal.

Both teams had ample spell of possession in the opening twenty five minutes, with both teams creating opportunities on goal, but unable to make the most of them. Eton came close with a well worked free kick routine, but the Cheadle goalkeeper was equal to it and made a great save.

With both sides having numerous chances, the first half finished nil nil an end to end game.

Half Time 0-0

Eton started the second half the brighter team and opened the scoring from a wonderful headed goal from a corner.

Cheadle Hulme remained in the game and created some good attacking chances in the opening 10 minutes, piling the pressure onto the Eton defence. In the forty seventh minute they were able to grab the equalizer, after the striker made a darting run into the box and managed to slide it past the Eton keeper.

In end to end plays both teams had good attacking chances, but much like the story of the first half, were unable to capitalize on their chances.

In what looked like the break through after a well worked free kick by Cheadle Hulme School, it was ruled offside by the linesman, keeping the score at one one.

Right at the death of the game it looked sure that Eton would grab a last minute winner, with a winding run in behind the defense, but the shot was just over the bar.

Full Time 1-1

Cheadle Hulme started the brighter in extra time. A free kick on the edge of the box was goal bound, only to be saved by the Eton keeper. Cheadle Hulme continued to pile on the pressure and looked certain to score, but for the Eton goal keeper.

A counter attack then saw Eton stride away to the opposite end of the pitch, but some last ditch defending kept them at bay

Half Time of Extra Time 1-1

Eton came close to grabbing the winner with a freekick which rebounded back to an Eton player who’s shot hit the crossbar, only to fall back to the feet of the Eton striker, but the Cheadle’s defence put in a great last minute tackle. The game then quickly switched to a great counter attack from Cheadle Hulme, who managed to capitalize on the opportunity to take the lead with five minutes remaining.

Eton continue to press high creating chances, and a great cross into the box was caught sweetly by the striker, but an outstanding save from the Cheadle keeper denied the equalizer.

Full Time Cheadle Hulme 2-1 Eton

Photos courtesy RWT Photography . To order photographs please go to  Please order your DVD of the match via your school.


Cheadle Hulme School made it into the final with a convincing win against Royal Russell. Cheadle scored their opening goal in the first 2 minutes of the game from a tap in at the back post after wonderful build up play starting from the keeper. Their second came midway through the first half after Royal Russell struggled to clear a corner, and Cheadle capitalised to knock the ball into the net.  Half time 2-0.The second half started with Royal Russell creating several chances, almost scoring from a corner. Cheadle then won a free kick 25 yards from goal, which was and put it in the top corner for Cheadle's third. The game then calmed down when Cheadle made it 4-0, quickly followed by a fifth goal from a strike from the halfway line that went over the keepers' head and into the goal. With a minute to go, Cheadle made it 6-0 progress through to the final on March 17th.

Eton made their first ISFA final in over decade; as they overcame a very spirited, and well coached Buckswood side. It was a very blustery day on the south coast, and both sets of players started the game tentatively. Some good running by Buckswood’s number 7 caused Eton some problems and Eton went close from a corner. However, nothing separated the teams at half time. Eton started the second half brightly, and took the lead with a well-placed shot from the edge of the box. Eton then added a second quickly after; a slip from a Buckswood defender allowed Eton to tap in for their second. Buckswood came back into the game with a free kick, which was marvellously placed in the top corner. This set up a frantic last 15 minutes but Eton held firm.        


Royal Russell's greater fire power in front of goal proved decisive in their match at Hampton, which was an even game for much of the match.  A goal in the first half and two in the second meant that Royal Russell were comfortable winners by the final whistle.

After an even first 15 minutes, Cheadle Hulme took the lead at Shrewsbury and from that point the result was never in doubt as the visitors ran out 5-0 winners.

Buckswood played Alleyns in a very challenging fixture. There were chances for both teams before Buckswood scored close to the half hour of the first half. Alleyns made every minute of the game a challenge and came close to equalising before the break. Both teams continued in the second half before Buckswood scored the second with a cheeky chip over the Alleyns goalkeeper.. Alleyns didn't give up and kept pressing Buckswood before getting a corner. The Buckswood keeper struggled to deal with the cross with the winter sun and the Alleyns pressure paid off leading to Alleyns scoring. The last 10 mins of he game were extremely tough for Buckswood with Alleyns pressing and chasing for an equaliser, however Buckswood held strong and came away with the win 2-1.

There was little between Eton and Aldenham in the first half but the crucial moment came 15 minutes into the second half when Eton were awarded and scored a penalty.  Eton had chances to stretch their lead but failed to do so which made for a tense final minutes as Aldenham pressed for an equaliser - but the home side's defence held firm.


Wind and rain made the conditions difficult but added to the drama as Alleyn's came from behind in a thrilling encounter.  Bradfield took the lead in the second half after a free-kick was not cleared but Alleyn's turned the game around with two fine goals.  With five minutes to play, Bradfield were awarded a penalty but the kick was tipped onto the bar and Alleyn's claimed a dramatic away win.

Buckswood travelled to play Whitgift and won 3-1. The first half Buckswood played a very nervy game and were under pressure from Whitgift. Whitgift had a couple of good chances that they were unable to convert. Some very good defending from Buckswood ensured that Whitgift had to work hard. Buckswood scored first, which was quickly answered from Whitgift. Overall a very challenging game that couldve gone either way.

A tight game saw Aldenham take the lead midway through the first half before adding a second just before half-time. Dulwich worked hard and continued to counter attack but nothing came from their chances to see the game end 2-0 to Aldenham.

Third Round

A closely contested first half with Harrow slightly on top,  Alleyn’s fail to clear the ball twice by giving possession back to Harrow, from this, a Harrow player get’s their head up and chipped the keeper from about 25 yards. This puts Harrow 1-0 up going into half time. During the second half Alleyn’s upped the pressure. Alleyn’s win a freekick down the left hand side and equalise from a great ball from the Alleyn’s midfielder. Alleyn’s maintain the high pressure and with a great bit of skill from Alleyn’s forward, Alleyn’s manage to get in behind and tap one in from inside the 6 yard box, 2-1. Finally a great bit of desire to get the ball down the right and a good cross to assist the Alleyn’s forward who showed great determination to get on the end of the cross with a diving header 3-1.

A super start by Whitgift saw them take the lead after 10mins and then stretch that lead even further to lead 3-0 at HT. A UCS goal reduced the arrears in the second half to send Whitgift through as 3-1 winners.

Manchester Grammar School started the game well and were showing positive signs of playing in the St Bede's half, though were restricted to efforts from range and the Bede’s keeper showed excellent handling. Bede’s broke at pace and looked dangerous. As the second half began 0-0, the game continued to be tight. Five minutes in, a cross from the right was headed home at the back post to put MGS ahead, though Bede’s hit back from close range with twenty minutes to go. MGS were able to pull ahead again when the right midfielder broke free in the box and shot across the keeper and then the striker added a third to put the game beyond doubt late on Aldenham went into the half time break with a 3-0 lead before scoring a 4th in the second half. KCS Wimbledon scored a well deserved goal at the end to see the game finish 4-1. 

Bristol GS came from behind once again in a nail-biting game that could have gone either way. An end-to-end first half saw Winchester College get 2 goals their press deserved and go into half time with the lead. Bristol GS rallied in the second half with an energetic display pulling a goal back quickly thanks to a powerful finish, and then with 10 minutes to go they got the equaliser through some neat build up play and a good back post finish. Bristol continued to apply the pressure and won a corner in the final minutes, which was delivered to the back post and met with a powerful header the ‘keeper had no chance with

Second Round

After a frantic 10 minutes with lots of long balls and end to end football the match settled and Haileybury began to dominate the ball. Failing to put away a number of chances Haileybury allowed Culford back into the game leading to a number of good chances for the home team. Half time 0-0.Haileybury started the second half quicker of the two teams which lead to their striker scoring a quick fire hatrick. Culford kept fighting and had a number of close chances. Haileybury winger managed to finish one more chance ending the game 0-4.

Hampton proved to be too strong for St John’s (Enfield) in todays second round tie. The bigger school dominated from the start, creating a number of chances whilst keeping the opposition at bay. The organised St John’s defended resolutely throughout the game and fought hard until the end, but it was Hampton who progress to the next round.

St Bede’s took lead thanks to interception and shot from distance. That lead was doubled after a cross and headed finish. A sublime strike from the left side of midfield made it three and a further goal gave St Bede’s a four nil half time lead. Grange fought valiantly and started the second half strongly seeing several goal bound efforts blocked well or saved for corners. St  Bede’s added a further two goals to make the final scoreline six nil.

The first half lacked many meaningful events until Kimbolton went down to 10 men. This spurred the home team on and they took the lead before the break. Chigwell  created a number of chances but were unable to capitalise and saw Kimbolton score tree more goals.

Brooke House College started the game stronger and took an early lead. Highgate then responded before Brooke House scored a couple of quick goals before Half-Time (3-1). Highgate started quickly at the beginning of the second half and converted a deserved penalty before Brooke House started to build possession and became ruthless in front of goal scoring three more goals. Highgate School continued to work effortlessly and got a deserved consolation goal at the end (6-3), as Brooke House College progressed into the next round.

A tightly contested match between Alleyn’s and City of London. Alleyn’s went 2 up but City of London fought back well and got the game back to 2-2 with 2 minutes left to play. Alleyn’s got the second wind in extra time managing to score 2 well worked goals and wrap up the game nicely. 4-2AET.

A superb game played between defence and attack with the home team looking to play at every opportunity whilst the visitors wanted to soak up pressure and be direct on the break. A combination of fantastic saves from the St John's Leatherhead GK and poor finishing from Whitgift led to a 1-0 HT lead for Whitgift. The second half followed a similar pattern and with SJL not conceding again this led to a tense final 10mins in which Whitgift held out to progress

Buckswood hosted Bedes. Both teams were competitive and there were many opportunities  at both ends to get the lead. However it was Buckswood that got the first goal, after a quick counter attack in the first half and some good play along the 18 yard box leading to a shot that sailed in to the goal. The teams continued to fight for the game and many missed opportunities came and went, including a penalty for Buckswood, which the Bedes goalkeeper did well to save. The game finished as a 1 - 0 win to Buckswood.

The match started very evenly with both sides attempting to maintain possession and force the opponent onto the back foot. Manchester Grammar School broke the deadlock with a curling finish from outside the box, set up by a good square ball from the left. A flowing move brought a tap-in for the second. MGS began to gain a bit more of the ball and managed to add two more through progressive passing in the final third, before Merchant Taylors, Crosby pulled one back. MGS answered with a finish from a corner and a break with a right-foot strike from the number 9.

Harrow started this second round cup tie with great intensity and really grabbed the initiative thanks to the strong running of their front pair  – each grabbing a goal in the opening 10 minutes. The Harrow Midfield was working extremely hard to keep the pressure on Princethorpe and this caused Harrow to take a commanding 5-0 lead into half-time. Three further goals for Harrow in the second period, at a slightly more leisurely pace left Harrow the victors despite some relentless defensive work from the Princethorpe side

First Round

Ryde made the journey to play in a challenging game. Both sides fought well in the first half and work hard in both attack and defence on wet afternoon. Claremont Fan Court worked tirelessly in the second half to win convincingly and they progress to the next round.

Haileybury started fast creating multiple chances before finding the top corner. The pace of the game then settled and Wellington started to grow into the game, until a superb run saw Haileybury midfielder beat a number of Wellington defenders and go around the Wellington keeper to make it 2-0. Halftime. The second half started brightly for both teams resulting in both keepers having to make some smart saves. Before a long range effort took a deflection and sat up nicely for a haileybury tap in making it 3-0. Haileybury goals 4 & 5 both came from set plays. Final score Haileybury 5 Wellington 0.

After a cagey opening first 10 minutes St Bede’s opened the scoring after a swift counter attack down the right. St Bede’s were 4 up after 28 minutes, before a neat move and shot from Rossall made it 4-1 before the break. Rossall came out quick in 2nd half and made it 4-2, a composed finish from Bede’s stretched it to 5-2 before a reply with 10 minutes to go made it the final result of 5-3. A good game by two determined teams.

Kimbolton opened the scoring from a corner against Thorpe House. The game was equally poised until the second half when Kimbolton doubled the lead. Kimbolton's third also came from a corner, and the scoring was completed by a fine strike from outside the box.

Marlborough hosted Bryanston on a glorious afternoon in Wiltshire for what would be a thoroughly entertaining game of football. Both teams started brightly but it was Marlborough who broke the deadlock first with a well worked goal. The first goal initiated a period of dominance were Marlborough went close a number of times but were only able to find the net once more. With the deficit doubled, Bryanston enjoyed their own period of dominance prior to the half time and went in at the break only trailing by one having capitalised on a defensive error. The second half started as brightly as the first and Marlborough were able to convert an indirect freekick in the box before Bryanston again cut the deficit to one goal with a superb individual goal from the midfield. With ten to go Marlborough made it 4-2 and saw out a superb contest.

It was an entertaining first half during which both teams enjoyed the lead at times. However either side of the half Bristol showed their dominance and scored some well worked goals to open a comfortable lead. Milton Abbey fought hard to try and get back into the game but Bristol’s defence held firm to ensure a deserved 5-2 win. A lovely afternoon was had by all and the match was played in a great spirit.

A good performance from the whole squad saw King’s College Wimbledon progress to the next round. Haberdashers played some good football, hitting back with two good goals of their own, but King’s College Wimbledon were clinical in the final third. Scoring 3 goals sealing a narrow win against an organised Haberdashers team. Haberdashers were excellent hosts and dignified in defeat

Read 70817 times
Tagged under
More in this category: ISFA U15 CUP FIXTURES »